Add to calendar

Erin Ryan on Race, Tech, and Kids: "Designing at the Edges" in Pursuit of Equity


Zoom Link:


Open to everyone interested in discussing race in research, art, practice, and life, the BKC Race+Tech+Media Working Group supports professional goals and our holistic selves. In this session, the BKC Race+Tech+Media Working group features Erin Ryan on Race, Tech, and Kids: "Designing at the Edges" in Pursuit of Equity.


The talk will be about the 80/20 rule (i.e., designing for the 80% but potentially failing the other 20%) and opening up the design process to more voices. In an education context, we talk about Universal Design for Learning (UDL), or a way of teaching that takes all students' needs into account and extening this idea to designing media and technology so that all users/makers can benefit according to their actual preferences and needs.


Also the talk will weave in some of Anita Rui Olds' work on designing physical play spaces to fulfill developmental needs, the EdTech gap, technology inequality, some low-tech solutions, and examples of applications that are approaching equity.


Presented by the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University’s Race+Tech+Media Working Group 2023-24. Coordinators Jenny Korn and Roslyn Satchel.

0 people are interested in this event

User Activity

No recent activity